Work Experience #
Christian-Albrechts Universität zu Kiel #
Part time Student Assistant - Kiel, Germany - April 2020 - October 2021
- Led technology training for our online learning platform, giving instructors greater flexibility and more abilities when organizing their courses.
- Performed a data migration for building management which allowed them to see 10 years of utility usage for the entire university.
- Proof read English writing for websites and scientific papers.
CAPA Strategies #
Software Engineer - Portland, OR, USA (Remote) - January 2020- October 2021
- Developed frontend web applications providing customers with an interactive experience for exploring study results.
- Researched and developed web applications for managing science projects to increase productivity and allow new business possibilities.
Software Engineer - Portland, OR, USA - 2018-2019
- Helped lead backend development on API projects which allowed the business to break away from monolithic application structures and grow the business faster.
- Developed new application deployment pipelines which gave our development team greater speed and flexibility when deploying new releases.
- Led employee training on AWS and frequently led talks explaining technical design decisions for solutions developed for the company.
Campaign Monitor #
Software Engineer - Portland, OR, USA - 2017-2018
- Served as a Python code quality expert whose guidance helped reduce production errors and increase code readability.
- Designed services to break up a monolithic code base which lead to a more agile, easier to test code base.
- Implemented application features leading to new sales and retention of current customers in the area of integrations and user and account management.
Pacific Coast Distributors #
Software Engineer - Portland, OR, USA — 2015-2017
- Developed and maintained full featured shipping and inventory management software with an emphasis on scalability.
- Identified flaws in database design and implemented effective fixes that helped our business gain new insights.
- Implemented automated testing and integrated it with current release procedures leading to a reduction in production errors.
Rocket Internet #
Software Engineer - Berlin, Germany — 2014-2015
- Designed scalable marketing data collection systems whose data was the foundation for our marketing reports.
- Built web services and managed deployment for our marketing tools application with a focus on being able to easily onboard new developers.
- Created a series of flexible, tested, and well documented Python libraries for easily accessing reporting data.
M.S. Sustainability, Society and the Environment #
Chrisitian-Albrechts University - Kiel, Germany - 2021
Concentrations: mobility, urban development and planning
B.S. Social Science #
Portland State University - Portland, OR, USA
Research Projects #
Master Thesis: "Mapping Alternative Mobility Accessibility in Kiel: The Argument for Auto-reduction Strategies" #
In this project, I developed a walkability of index and used it to plan various auto-reduction measures for the city of Kiel. GIS was used heavily in this project, and much of the code I wrote for it is now open source (available here: https://github.com/travishathaway/altmo). The project also has a companion website which presents the results of my findings.
Urban Heat Island Research #
As a technical assistant, my primary role was helping develop remote sensing hardware for the collection temperature and GPS data. The early prototypes I developed eventually led to the development of production units. Additionally, I was in charge of developing a web application for the management of the data that we collected. Although this web application prototype never led to primary usage, lessons learned during its development informed future decisions regarding data management.